Universe/PICK Basic

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Introduction

It was a sleepless night that inspired me to blog this. UNIVERSE a.k.a PICK Basic/InforBasic. People might think it's a term used to define a galaxy, solar system and etc. At least 7 out of 10 person will thought of that, even IT professionals that have been working for years might not even heard about it. Well.. I cant really differentiate whether it's a database or a programming language. Based on my 7 years of experience, and to make things easier for myself, I assume UNIVERSE is a database and PICK is the programming language.
I started my career as a junior programmer. During my first interview session, I recalled, James asking me, "How long do you take to pick up a programming language?". I hesistated for a while and answered. "2 weeks". James looked surprised and smile. Maybe it's because of this answer, i was employed. Was given brief training during the first few days of the job. Maybe it's because i attended PASCAL programming classes during secondary school, I can easily pick up this programming language. Credits also goes to my first mentor - Anne Koay. She teached me alot, and i've learned alot from her.
Looking back from now, I knew why James smiled at me when I answered him. 2 weeks? Maybe his question is just to test the level of my confidence :) If a fresh graduate give me the same answer .. i will smiled just like James. Knowing UNIVERSE is a 2 weeks job, mastering it will take ages. I dare not said i'm an expert, instead.. i'm still exploring and at the same time learning until now. As days goes by i will post more and more information on UNIVERSE, be it for own references or for killing my time doing something meaningful :) More to come.. cheers.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:09 PM , Blogger Leading Horse said...

    I wanted to help to clarify things. UNIVERSE is a programming environment. PICK is a programming environment. The main language of UNIVERSE is UNIVERSE BASIC. The main language of PICK is PICK/BASIC.

    Also, on INFORMATION systems, INFO/BASIC is the language. UNIVERSE and PICK and INFORMATION are all very compatible with each other, like AIX, UNIX, XENIX, and LINUX are all compatible with each other.

    Hope this helps,

    Robert Norman

    ROBERT NORMAN AND ASSOCIATES
    23441 Golden Springs Dr., #289, Diamond Bar, CA 91765
    (323) 285-7272, (951) 541-1668
    ICE@KEYWAY.NET
    http://universe-basic-programming.webstarts.com
    http://users.keyway.net/~ice/index.html
    http://www.affordablemultivalueprogramming.i8.com

    Computer programming & software development in Universe BASIC for Rocket Universe, in PICK/BASIC for Rocket D3, in UNIBASIC for Rocket Unidata, in R/BASIC (REVELATION BASIC) for REVELATION TECHOLOGIES REVELATION, in JBASIC (JBC or JBASE BASIC) for TEMENOS JBASE, in DATA/BASIC for Northgate REALITY, in MV BASIC (Multivalue Basic) for Intersystems Cache Multivalue, and QMBASIC for Ladybridge OPENQM (QM).

    KEYWORDS: Affordable programming services for UNIVERSE, UNIVERSE BASIC, UNIDATA, UNIBASIC, PICK, Advanced PICK, D3, PICK/BASIC, PICK BASIC, R83, CACHE, MULTIVALUE BASIC, MV BASIC, MVBASIC, PRIME INFORMATION, INFO/BASIC, PIOPEN, jBASE, jBC, jBASE BASIC, jBASIC, MENTOR System, DATA/BASIC, DATABASIC, DATA BASIC, OPENINSIGHT, BASIC+, OPENQM, QM, QMBASIC, Power95, REALITY System, REVELATION, Advanced REVELATION, AREV, R/BASIC, REVELATION BASIC, WebSphere DataStage, DSBASIC, DataStage BASIC, MvBase, MV*BASE, Ultimate, MentorPro, MENTOR/PRO, MENTOR PRO, PC/OS, mvEnterprise, UniVision, MvON, MAVERICK, COLUMBIA ULTIMATE COLLECTOR SYSTEMS, CUBS, DATAFLO, DATATEL, MANFACT, MADIC, MULTIVALUE, ROBERT NORMAN AND ASSOCIATES, ROBERT NORMAN & ASSOCIATES, DEVELOPER, PROGRAMMER, CONSULTANT

     
  • At 6:10 AM , Blogger ayac said...

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home